A study out by Comscore and Pretarget this week states that:
If an online conversion is your goal, your ad being seen matters more than your ad being clicked.
What ? Are they mad? No, absolutely not.
In our industry, this is important news that may begin to put to rest those who continually ask for click through rates on display ads as the holy grail of online metrics.
The study cannot be taken lightly since it was based on 263 million ad impressions delivered over nine months across 18 advertisers in numerous verticals.
Simple Study Highlights
- Clicks had the lowest correlation with conversions
- Ad ‘hover’(dwell time in the ads) and viewable ad impressions had the highest correlation with conversions.
Other Recent studies with similar findings
1. A 2009 Mediamind study released in July 2010 that found that :
- on average, increasing Dwell time in the banner [hover] from 5% to 15%, increased conversion rates by 45%, from 0.4% to 0.6%.”
2. Casale Media’s 2011 “Ad Visibility Report,” found that
- “ads appearing above the fold were 6.7x more effective at generating conversions than those appearing below the fold.”
Interesting to note that there are now several online auditing tools available that confirm whether your online ads are being delivered above or below the fold eg do you have to scroll down your screen to see them.
I had been wondering for a while who would be the first online ad supplier selling advertising space on a ‘cost per guaranteed exposure’ basis and now we know.
Saymedia announced on April 17th that they now offered ad impressions based on this model – interesting to note that they were also the first to launch the Cost per guaranteed ad engagement model several years ago.
So the gloves are off. It will be interesting to see who has the guts and the inventory to follow Saymedia’s innovative model…watch this space